Motherhood… Aging… Menopause… Distraction… Stress… Exhaustion… Depression…
All are known and accepted causes of increasing memory loss and all are conditions I have and do experience.
I’ve know for quite a while that I’m having increasing memory issues, indicated by the ‘symptoms’ I’ve noticed, which include:
- Habitual list-making, only to forget where I put the list.
- Starting every sentence with, “I hope I haven’t already told you this, but…”
- Choosing to forgive and forget the small debts of our children rather than go through the frustration of trying to keep track of it all.
- Using the television PVR’s timer to remind me to switch to my favorite program at the right time.
- Asking my kids to remind me prior to any event or other thing to which I’ve committed for them.
- And, last but not least – and the most disturbing to me:
- Starting a delicious smelling, freshly brewing pot of coffee, placing my empty mug near the brewer in anticipation of that lovely first cup while cleaning the kitchen and loading the dishwasher – only to go back once the coffee has finished brewing, and realizing in humorous resignation and frustration that I had placed the clean coffee mug in the dishwasher with the other dirty dishes. (This happens almost every morning).
I think I’ll start placing my mug right on top of the coffee maker. Do you think that’ll be enough to jog my (at best) lapsing memory?